Looking for new posts?


I've been blogging over at Closing the Gap these days. Still me, and still delicious, come join me!




Back in October of last year, my little family and I went on our annual raspberry picking venture. We recently discovered frozen raspberries in our freezer that reminded me of fall's harvest and the warm sun that ended our berry picking exploit short because it got so hot, those were the days... Then I began to dream of ice cream, tarts and other sweet things I could make with the frozen berries, and realized I had better move quickly before my husband swiped them and put them into a green smoothie. It seems like he has been trying anything and everything lately. Can I admit that pea smoothies are not a favorite?

Though they'd undoubtedly be delicious in a normal green smoothie, let's make ice cream instead.



This recipe is a repeat from a post I shared last year on my dear friend Becky's blog, The Vintage Mixer. It is based off of the chocolate fudge ice cream I created from Melissa's raw fudge recipe. I had been asked if the base of the recipe could be made into other ice cream flavors, particularly fruit. The answer is yes, and very well I might add.

red raspberry ice cream

1 1/2 cup fresh or frozen raspberries, packed
1 cup agave nectar or 3/4 cup honey
1/2 cup coconut oil
1/2 cup cashews, soaked overnight and rinsed (optional)
1 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
1 cup coconut cream or whole cream
2 cups almond milk or whole milk

In a high speed blender or food processor, blend the raspberries, agave, coconut oil, cashews and vanilla extract together until smooth. In a steady stream, add the coconut cream and almond milk, blending until well mixed. You can strain the mixture at this point if you want to remove the seeds. Pour the mixture into an ice cream maker, or alternatively freeze in a shallow pan, stirring every 45 minutes until frozen.

Serve with fresh or frozen raspberries or my personal favorite, swirls of a raw chocolate sauce (equal parts agave and cacao powder).

notes:

If you don't have/care for agave or honey, make a sugar syrup using a 1 to 1 ratio of water and sugar, bringing to a boil for a few minutes and then allowing to cool before use.
Try substituting the raspberries with other berries like ripe strawberries, blackberries, blueberries, etc.
The cashews are optional, they just add a little more creamy texture to the ice cream.


2 Comments